.

.

Friday 30 April 2010

Fern Walk with the BPS


The British Pteridological Society (BPS) is the society for anyone interested in Ferns ('Pteridophytes'). I recently joined this society and when I casually mentioned to other members that I had found around 18 species of Ferns in the vicinity of Chorlton Meadows they were very surprised and suggested that this is a very good total - especially in a semi-urban area.

As a result I've been asked to lead a walk which, I hope, will take in as many of the local Ferns as possible. The details of this walk are as follows:

Meeting Point: Chorlton Water Park car park (at the end of Maitland Avenue, Chorlton).

Date: Saturday 29th May 2010

Time: 10:30 am (until approx. 2:30 to 3:00 pm)

My co-leader on the walk will be Dr Yvonne Golding - who is General Secretary of the BPS. As well as being a Fern enthusiast Yvonne is a professional Entomologist and she tells me that she has conducted research on Hoverflies around Chorlton and Sale Water Parks.

The walk is open to non-members of the Society, but if you would like to join us could you please email me beforehand (at davegbishop@aol.com) so that I can get some idea of numbers.

Posted by Dave Bishop, 30th April 2010

No comments: